My first full day in Okayama, I was able to walk around freely quite a bit, and found myself at the Omotecho Shopping Arcade, which is a long shopping street full of cute stores that more or less seem to cater to tourists. At a little hole-in-the-wall tea shop, though, I found something that seemed really special: matcha tea service for only ¥500.
The matcha bowl was brought to me with just enough matcha powder at the bottom, and the little dish you see on the back of the tray was full of water at the appropriate temperature. I got to whisk the matcha myself!
I had done this before, but I thought it was really nice that they provided instructions in English, too, just in case. (The Japanese instructions were on the other side of this card.) Not only that, but the older woman running the shop was incredibly sweet and offered me some advice on the whisking of matcha, too. I would have liked to talk with her a little bit more, but I'm not confident in my Japanese speaking abilities. . .
The matcha was of a very nice quality for ¥500, I thought. It frothed up nicely, and the sweets that accompanied it were of the exact level of sweetness to best bring out the creaminess in the matcha.
This was a truly delightful, simple experience on my first day back in Japan. If you are ever in Omotecho Shopping Arcade and happen to pass a shop advertising ¥500 Matcha Service, I absolutely recommend you go in and try it. Well worth it!

No comments:
Post a Comment